Monday, September 10, 2012

three point stool











Our first furniture design project for the semester required us to create a three point stool. We were given two weeks to design and complete the project. It was required that it can hold 250 lbs and be between 14 and 16 inches high. 

My initial design....

With time and technology constraints, I decided to pursue other options...

I found this lovely 1965 Albinson - Knoll chair that was sitting abandoned with a broken backrest.

I dismantled it and roughly arranged the pieces to create a 3-point base. It was strange going into the design process without using any sort of computer generated drawings. Simply doing what you can with what you have. I enjoyed giving this classic chair a new life. 

After altering and welding the legs together creating the base.... I sanded and adhered wooden plates to give it a finished look.



Today my stool will be competing against 29 others for people's choice... Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment